Wednesday, July 10, 2024

Room enough for both


Every time a new store opens in this little town, it's too rich for my blood. I'll go in to see the new place soon after it opens, and I'm usually impressed by what they sell, but everything is out of my price range.

And that's perfectly fine.

I’m glad ritzy stores-- that I can’t afford to patronize-- exist. They make things nicer and more interesting. They are probably the only type of store potentially able to afford the rent in the plentiful empty buildings.

I’m glad thrift stores with dirty, cluttered shelves and cheap, negotiable prices exist too. They are as interesting as the ritzy places, but in a different way. 

Both fill a niche. Both are useful and valuable. Neither one threatens me by its existence. Keep giving it a shot.

-
Thank you for reading.  

No comments:

Post a Comment