Saturday, August 01, 2009

The Reason for the Definitions

I get told frequently that I define words to mean what I want them to mean. Yes, I do.

I believe everyone does this, but if they do not buck the status quo, no one notices. There is no way for you to mean every dictionary definition each time you use a particular word. Not unless you have many different personalities inside you giving you conflicting ideas.

Therefore I make an effort to tell people what I mean when I use a certain word in order to minimize confusion. In order to facilitate this I decided to define the words that receive the most attention.

Just use the "definitions" label if you ever get confused about my usage of a word. If the word is not there, ask me to post it here.

1 comment:

  1. Love the idea of definitions! I use the term government very specifically, and always try - (mayhaps I fail once in a while) to use the term 'State' to describe what people commonly call 'government' My definition for 'government' is 'management of resources' while my definition of State runs along the lines of Rothbard's - a monopoly on the use of force in a given geographic area. or similar.

    No one can live without government - if you don't manage your food resources you starve to death, etc. The STATE considers us to be it's resources, which is the reason it uses the term 'government' to indicate itself.

    By arguing against the state but acknowledging government is a part of life, I find my arguments to be much simpler to make.

    ReplyDelete