Friday, June 20, 2008

Financing Government

I hear people calling for tax penalties against oil companies. I say it is a bad idea. I also hate it when some person, even an aggressor, is ordered to pay a "fine". Why?

Because the money goes to finance more government. That is the last thing any of us needs. If a person initiates force against another, restitution should be paid to the victim, not to the state! How does paying the state make sense to anyone? I know that many court cases are "Person v The State of Coercion" or whatever, but unless there is at least one real, individual victim, there was no "aggression" committed.

Tax penalties and fines only make sense to those who see nothing wrong with more money financing more government to pass more "laws" to collect more fines to... and so on, in order to clamp down on individual liberty even harder.

2 comments:

  1. I am fighting with my husband over this one right now. I got a speeding ticket in Oct. 1997 that I didn't pay. I got the ticket out of town, was a single mom, and innocent of the charge. The small town made it impossible to fight without time off work and a travel day (at least one day even if they didn't reschedule) so I took my chances. Fast forward 11 freaking years: I moved near the small town and changed the address on my DL. (Nevermind that I always lived 135 miles away and my address had ALWAYS been current.) I got a postcard in the mail telling me about a warrant for my arrest. When I called the court I learned that they have so much basic info wrong- the car I was driving, my address at the time and the rate of speed I was charged with- so this week I pleaded not guilty via mail and am waiting on a trial date. I will not pay this ticket no matter how it turns out. I told my husband I would rather go to jail if the court finds me guilty of speeding 11 years ago.

    Hubby thinks I should just pay it as we have the money. I say that the whole affair is about revenue generation not justice and I refuse to support a small town speed trap. Look for my report on jail food soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say that unless there is a risk to your life, it is worth spending a few nights in jail to avoid paying the extortion. At least I think so right now.

    Good luck with your fight, and I hope we don't get to read your report on jail food!

    ReplyDelete