Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Panic at the Eclipse


I recently found out that there are people who think the upcoming total solar eclipse will cause some sort of collapse. Technological or societal? Or first one, then the other? I'm not sure, and I haven't gotten a sane answer.* 

Specifically, I've seen warnings that credit/debit cards might not work during or after the eclipse, so have cash on hand.

My first thought was that they were confusing an eclipse with a solar storm or a solar coronal mass ejection. I don't think that's the case anymore.

I now think they heard that some places along the path of totality are declaring states of emergency in anticipation of overwhelming crowds stressing the infrastructure, and mistook this for something else.

I'm planning to be part of those crowds, if I can manage it, and if The Universe doesn't jinx me.

In which case, I'll be as prepared as I always am-- as prepared as I can be under the circumstances. It doesn't thrill me that if something does happen, I'll be away from home. But, I'll not stay a prisoner of my fears or unknowns.

An eclipse can't cause anything other than short-lived darkness. Superstition, fear, and ignorance can cause a lot of trouble, though. And it doesn't take an eclipse to trigger it-- just look at elections!


*If you've heard something I'm missing, please let the rest of us know in the comments.

-
Here are some of the best ways to help me

2 comments:

  1. The center of totality is passing over my hometown, a few hours from here. I am going to set up cameras in the park and get some shots. I was able to go to my daughters home in 2017 for that eclipse. She was in the center of totality in Tennessee. I set up three cameras and got great video and frame shots. Had a Canon on a tripod with a solar filter and shooting a frame every ten seconds. I will probably set up something similar for this one. Luckily I can go there and back on one tank of gas, if things get crazy. Will top off though, after we arrive, just to be safe. Should be a good party. I have heard that governors are calling for National guard support at major metropolitan areas along the shadow line. The Eclipse itself is just a visual phenomena. There are no strange electromagnetic or seismic events associated with these passings. But TPTB may be able to use the fear for other purposes. That seems more likely to me. I can go all the way home staying off of major highways and population centers. All of the states around me are constitutional carry, so we will be sufficiently armed.

    Stay Safe!!
    Jeff2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may try to take a few amateur photos, but mainly I just want to experience it.
      I hope people aren't triggered into rioting because it gets dark for a few minutes. Those who have told me they heard something is going to happen all got their "information" from the same place: TikTok.

      Delete