Wednesday, May 31, 2023

Each of us has untapped strength


As happens sometimes, I was feeling discouraged earlier. 

Then I remembered times when I was out wandering the backcountry and realized I had traveled much too far. And I still had to go all the way back to my starting point. Plus, I dislike traveling back along the path I've just walked, which is one reason I keep going miles beyond where I should have turned around. I know this about myself but it happens anyway.

It seems I should have learned my lesson after the first time this happened, but apparently, I didn't, since this was a recurring theme.

At first, I usually thought I just couldn't do it. I was already tired and there just was no way I could make it back. Once, this thought struck me about the time I sprained my ankle as I was turning back.

There's no way I'm going to make someone come out to "rescue" me in that kind of situation-- usually (against all common sense) no one knew where I was anyway. As long as I was conscious, I was going to keep going. So I did.

Somehow, every time this happened, I found the stamina to make it back to the car or to my camp. Every time. And it was never as bad as it seemed when I first turned back. I always got some extra energy and it never even seemed like much of a chore once I started going. The worst part was always the point where I realized I needed to head back and I knew I was "too tired" to make it out.

In the midst of feeling discouraged earlier, these memories popped into my head, and I knew it's not impossible to push through. It's possible and it's necessary. You just gotta keep going.

-
My surgery fund.
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment