Friday, December 09, 2022

Online anonymity is essential


Jordan Peterson has come out strongly against online anonymity. I understand that he probably gets attacked by anonymous trolls a lot. It's no excuse.

It just shows that everyone is wrong sometimes. Especially when their feelings get involved.

I am in favor of anonymity; no reservations. Even anonymous trolls. 

When there is authoritarianism and tyranny, anonymity is essential. I don't think anyone should be required to martyr themselves to speak the truth.

I was anonymous for the first few years online, and I often wonder if I made a mistake by giving that away-- even though it seemed necessary at the time.

I stand in unqualified support for online anonymity.

-
The (economic) walls are really closing in, 
so please consider subscribing or donating.
I would greatly appreciate it! 
I couldn't do this without your support.

2 comments:

  1. I'm also completely in favor of online anonymity. For some people it can be a matter of safety and for others it's from a simple desire to not become a product to be bought and sold (for example by advertising companies.) Anonymity allows a person to be as honest as they want to be, one might even say, to show their true and authentic self no matter what society might have pegged them as. For example a person might be more generous when anonymous, without fear of a bunch of leeches wanting scraps. I'm like that. Oddly, I tend to be polite whether anonymous or not, it doesn't make much of a difference. Also I just love seeing the creativity of people's different screen names. -R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm going to post another thought about anonymity.

      Delete