Saturday, May 16, 2020

The family's drug smuggler



Almost 30 years ago my extended family went to the southern tip of Texas for Christmas. One day during that week or so, we crossed into Mexico for a day of exploring and shopping in a little town.

I still have a couple of cheap Mexican pots I bought in a sparsely stocked store, and the empty bottle from the Mexican vanilla I bought.

I enjoyed the food, the sights, and even the strange semi-outdoor flushing outhouse with moss growing between the bricks on the floor, beautifully lit by sunlight shining through the holes in the roof. I would build one of those in my yard if I could build things.

I loved seeing the chickens roaming the street and the vendors trying to talk travelers into buying the hammocks they were selling. I had a great time.

While there, an adult female relative visited a pharmacy and stocked up on some medicine she needed which required a prescription in the Land of the Free and was consequently much more affordable there. I would have done the same.

At the end of the day, as we crossed through the police gate between tax farms, armed U.S. goons stopped us to look us over to see if we looked American enough and to question us. One of the few questions they asked was whether any of us had "any drugs or medications" we were bringing back with us. This female relative looked them in the eyes and said "No".

After we were graciously allowed to resume our journey back to our vacation rental in America, and were safely away from the goons, I said: "You lied to them."

She didn't understand, because she would never lie, and certainly not to officers of The Law. I said they asked whether we were bringing any drugs or medications back in and that she had said "no". She said it wasn't a lie; we didn't have any illegal drugs. I said that's not what they asked. (And technically, they probably would have disagreed with her anyway.)

Worse, yet, I approved of her lying to them. You don't owe molesters the truth.

She never admitted she lied to them, and still fully supports the stupid and evil War on Politically Incorrect Drugs, and the prescription scam that goes along with it. But I know. And it makes me smile to remember it and to know she's a once-upon-a-time drug smuggler.

-

Writing to promote liberty is my job.
YOU get to decide if I get paid.
I hope I add something you find valuable enough to support.

4 comments:

  1. Sadly, I don't think that it is easy to get prescription drugs in Mexico, and bring them back, without a prescription, written by an American doctor, and then, no narcotics either. It sucks, because I am a chronic pain patient, who ran afoul of our governments failed war on drugs, and now, I just have to suffer in my own misery.
    I somehow got on " the list" here in my state, and now if I go to the hospital ER, they automatically think that I am a drug seeker, and refuse to treat me for pain, even if I am passing a kidney stone.
    My family doctor will work with me slightly, giving me a prescription for 10-15 Norco pills if I call and explain just what is going on, and why I need them. I won't ask anyone else to prescribe narcotics, because of the danger of losing my doctor's help when faced with extreme pain.
    I am actually retired on medical disability due to chronic migraines and a back injury. We have pain clinics here in Michigan, but they for the most part don't actually prescribe pain medication, but rather they teach coping strategy's to deal with the pain. In other words, learn to live with it, you baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, this did happen at Christmas 1990, so the "loopholes" (liberty that hadn't yet been crushed) have probably been closed now.
      Personally, I think refusing to treat chronic pain sufferers effectively is medical malpractice. It's a real tragedy.

      Delete
    2. I agree, but the government doesn't know how to do things in increments. Every fly must be killed with a nuclear weapon, when a fly swatter would better serve.
      I actually tried the legal medical marijuana route, getting my Michigan card, but had no success with it. I had never touched marijuana in my life, until then. And I have not used it since then, either.
      I used to have a medicenter with a doctor who was willing to treat pain, that I went to , and would get injections of strong pain killers, and anti nausea meds, often every week. We spoke about the coming heroin epidemic, coming because the government changed the schedule of hydromorphone, or Norco and vicodin, from schedule 3, to schedule 2. It made it much harder for pain patients to get pain meds, and so they instead sought street drugs, which are cheaper anyway. What we discussed happened, of course.
      Oh, I said I used to have a doctor that would treat pain. The government shut down his medicenter, and took his license away. Shocking, right? The thing is, I used to see the same 5 or 8 people there every week, all suffering from the same condition as me, chronic migraines. And for all of us, the only treatment that worked was a narcotic. I wonder what happened to all of those that I would see there. I am trying one of the new wonder drugs, Ajovy, which doesn't look like it is going to work. And I have no medication for aborting migraines.
      My wife is a chronic pain patient, with multiple issues. She is on a fairly high number of narcotic pain meds, from fentanyl patches, to norco pills. It's too bad that when I get a really disabling migraine, I could not get one of her pain pills, right?
      To be honest, if there was a source of pain medication that I could safely order online, and have delivered to my house, I would probably pay out of pocket for it. People who don't suffer from chronic pain don't understand just how serious it can be. But I am not willing to risk imprisonment, and I won't associate with the drug dealers on the street, who typically are involved with some rather unsavory people. So I suffer. Living in Michigan, I flaunt the law enough when I leave the house, because I don't choose to wear a mask unless there is no other option, like if I have to go into a doctor's office, and they require it. A business that requires it, doesn't see me enter their store.
      If I could talk my wife into it, I would move to a much freer state. But I don't think that will happen.

      Delete