Wednesday, October 31, 2018

What is this official-ish envelope? UPDATED



Guess who got a jury summons (on October 9th).

Me.

Yeah, I know that even if they don't extort a plea deal, and the case actually goes to trial, I have zero chance of being seated on a jury. Probably not anywhere, but definitely not around here. I've been told some of these government people read my newspaper columns. They will not risk having me on a jury-- any jury. Not if they want the near-guarantee of a conviction that they seek. I would do the right thing, not the political thing.

I'd love the chance to participate, but that bridge has been burned. Honestly, I'm surprised they even left my name in the rotation. The list must be "untouched by human hands" and unseen by human eyes.

The last time I got one of these I was picked in the initial selection, but kicked out of the pool in the first round of jury stacking. That was over 20 years ago and in another state.

If you haven't been as visible as I have, you may still have a chance to monkeywrench the plans of the US police state through jury nullification when appropriate. Please exercise it when you get the opportunity.


UPDATE: Trial canceled-- settled before it went to court.
-

This blog is my job.
YOU get to decide if I get paid.

8 comments:

  1. I've only ever gotten one and my whole group was dismissed before I even left my house... can't wait for my next one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've heard, that's the usual way. Even with the very tiny chance that they won't get a conviction, they don't really want to risk a trial if they can extort a plea bargain beforehand.

      Delete
  2. Jury duty is basically temporary slavery. Yes, a chance for one of the slaves to free someone in the clutches of the state, but still ... do I really want to allow that to happen to me, especially since I'd never get seated on a jury anyway?

    Not that I'd get a summons, since the government still thinks I live somewhere else thousands of miles away, and I haven't seen fit to correct their bookkeeping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me, it's worth the exceedingly remote chance I'd have to help someone. I'm not thrilled with the prospect of going through metal detectors, but again, if the State were victimizing me I would want another me to at least make the effort.

      Delete
    2. Is the metal detector thing because that means you'd be unarmed?

      Would you smuggle a weapon into a government building in the absence of metal detectors, even if it were a felony?

      Delete
  3. I've been summoned a few times - maybe four or five. Got into the courthouse exactly once. I sat in the back and listened to them ask questions and by lunch they had everyone they needed. Somehow I doubt I'll ever really be on a jury. I love the suggestion of jury nullification.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Proceedings like this sometimes take a while to get started. (Judge needs to finish his coffee or they need to finish ironing his magical robe etc. ) If you are waiting in a room with other potential jurors it might be interesting to bring in a few juror rights pamphlets. If one other person reads it...maybe... THAT person will be selected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. " I'd love the chance to participate "

    If you actually end up on a jury, how would you handle it?

    "They will not risk having me on a jury-- any jury. Not if they want the near-guarantee of a conviction that they seek. I would do the right thing, not the political thing."

    I knew a woman who was interviewed and told the court that she didn't approve of the judicial system and wanted no part of it. They let her go.

    If ever interviewed, I'd absolutely refuse to participate, tell them I don't believe in their state religion.

    Even better would be to show up in a robe, accompanied by men in super hero costumes with medal on their chest, a libertarian constitution and book of laws. When interviewed, keep referencing laws that say it's illegal to do what they do or participate in their courts. Then, later, after being rejected and sent home, mail the judge and court officers, lawyers, etc a summons and date to come to my court and discuss their crimes.

    ReplyDelete