Monday, September 03, 2018

XII



This blog is 12 years old today. Twelve years!

I can't even believe it.

There is a term I've seen repeatedly used to describe this blog: "under-appreciated".
Occasionally I've seen the phrase "undervalued" used instead.

It's nice to hear, but I'm not sure it is true. How can something be under-appreciated? Either it has value and people know it and appreciate it, or it doesn't. I'm not even sure how you could measure such a thing.

It is a nice sentiment, though. And I take it to mean I'm producing content (what a pretentious word!) that people believe is worth more than the recognition I get for it. That's a nice thing to hear.

So, thank you to those who have said that about my blog over the past 12 years. And thanks to all of you for reading and putting up with me.
-

This blog is my job.
YOU get to decide if I get paid.

8 comments:

  1. Kent,

    You are one of the few who understand what freedom and liberty is. That is invaluable in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats !
    and thank you.

    Question: As the site moves into it's teenage years: Will you become more irreverent, and resist authority more ?
    LoL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a goth phase, "no one understands me", and "cutting". Who knows.
      Or, like my own teen years, maybe it can just spend all its time in the woods going native.

      Delete
  3. I think what we mean by undervalued / underappreciated is that other people don't realize its value. If I took clean water to a backwards community that worshiped the muddy river that ran nearby, they might refuse it based on the grounds that it tastes different or that drinking from any other source is blasphemy. The water does have real value in preventing illness, yet they prefer their superstitions and traditions and therefore "undervalue" the clean water.

    In much the same way, the information contained here (and other places) could cure many social problems, yet is undervalued and rejected by a superstitious population.

    TL;DR: Something is undervalued when people don't understand how valuable it is.

    ReplyDelete