Monday, December 19, 2016

Next, after LED lighting



Yes, this is an actual lamp I own. I found it in a junk store years ago, and bought it for a dollar. I pulled it loose from the plywood it was glued to, added a wick and some olive oil, and found that it works. 

Rather dim, but it works.

It's always good to have options.
-


This blog, like all of KentforLiberty.com, is reader supported. Recent medical bills have hit me hard, cleaning me out in the midst of December birthdays and Christmas, so any donations or subscriptions would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you.


2 comments:

  1. Kent, I would advise investing in / looking out for in a couple of Aladdin mantle kerosene / oil lamps for hunker down scenarios.

    Yard sales, junk stores etc are your best bet - although new model are still made.

    Older types have inherent collectors value - http://www.aladdinlamps.info/index.htm

    I have used them in power-out situations, and they are great.

    Plus they are also EMP proof.

    Of course, they run great providing you have kerosene / paraffin oil - Argand, Rumford, and Solar lamps predated kerosene lamps, and used bio-fuels but originals and repros are pricey.

    BriteLyt now produce a series of multi-fuel lanterns - Rapid 500CP and 150CP series, which I am looking into myself. http://store.britelyt.com

    According to this link - http://store.britelyt.com/why-britelyt - apparently they can burn:

    "Kerosene, Diesel, Gasoline, White Gas, Biodiesel, Mineral Spirits, Paint Thinner, Lighter Fluid, Lamp Oils, Coleman™ Fuel, all JP Fuels, Citronella Oil, Plus Many More!"

    With 10-550 watts illumination (depending on fuel type)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have any of the mantle kerosene lamps, but I do have multiple kerosene lanterns in every room of the house. And a couple of candle lanterns. And hand-crank flashlights. I never suffer when the power goes out- in fact, I love when it does (but it almost never does so).

      Delete