Friday, November 25, 2016

A Thanksgiving gone by

On Thanksgiving this year I was remembering a Thanksgiving several years ago when I was utterly alone. Just about everything in my life had fallen apart- and the worse was yet to come (it's a good thing I didn't know that at the time). Things were bad enough then that to remember that time-- and a couple others that came later-- is enough to remind me that things aren't all that bad now. Things could definitely be worse.

It's a reminder I sometimes need.

But, back on that particular lonely and sad Thanksgiving Day, my doorbell rang and I heard a car leave. Looking out an upstairs window I saw an unfamiliar car pulling onto the highway, heading toward town. The house was hidden enough that people didn't accidentally drop by (unless they were lost fishermen, and those were always on foot).

I went to the door and discovered a plate of hot Thanksgiving food on my porch. 

I never did know who left it (or even who could have known my situation- I didn't yap personal stuff to anyone), but I also never forgot what that gesture meant to me on that bleak day.

-

This blog, like all of KentforLiberty.com, is reader supported. Thank you.


(Steemit link)

2 comments:

  1. Amerikan style “Thanksgiving" is more about gluttony than gratitude. Which is one of many reasons I’ve ignored the silliness for well over thirty years, now.
    If I want to give thanks, I’ll do it when I freakin’ please, not when The Herd directs me to (and I’ll certainly do it more than once a year). If I want to eat a turkey, I’ll damn sure eat one when I freakin’ please, and not on a Herd-determined day of the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find the reminder of a widely celebrated holiday useful. Humans have always had their harvest celebrations, as well as their solstice and equinox observances. I used to resist, but I finally decided those things were worth observing (for me). I know my life is more enjoyable when I allow myself some holidays (even if they are illogical)- and there is some individual value to me in joining with others in the celebration. As little as I make allowances for it, I am still human, and Homo sapiens is a social species. As long as the "social" is voluntary and mutually consensual...

      I used to be a complete hermit. Then I went through an intensely social period of about 2 years (as a result of the events which caused the situation related in this post)- and to be honest, I miss the option to be social in a way I enjoyed, now that it isn't available and I haven't found anything to replace it with.

      Delete