Sunday, August 14, 2016

"Be afraid! Run away!"

(If you use Steemit, please go there and upvote this post.)

I guess I suffer from a terrible lack of fear.

Or, so some would have me believe.

Sure, there are some things I don't want to happen. One of the worst already has. There's something freeing in that, even though I'd give anything to have avoided it. I now know that the thing I always considered to be the absolute worst thing ever couldn't destroy me.

I take what measures I can to avoid bad things- but I know nothing can prevent them all. It's just the nature of reality. And I don't sit around consumed with fear.

I wish I had more money, but even without it I'll find a way to go on... or I won't. But if I don't, it won't be the lack of money that kills me. I may become socially unacceptable and living in a cave or a wikiup, but I don't worry about survival.

I try to be prepared for difficulties. I'm a bit of a "prepper". It's not out of fear, but just because it's fun, and has bailed me out of bad situations so many times that I know I'd be stupid to not be prepared. I've found that being prepared also de-fangs fear. And, like I said, it's FUN!

I don't like government or any of the bullies doing the will of those who call themselves government. But I don't fear them any more than I fear other bad guys. Or rabid wolves. They are dangers to be acknowledged, observed, avoided, and dealt with. But not feared.

I certainly don't fear the absence of The State (what most people mean when they use the word "government") or its gangs of armed bullies committing acts of enforcement to impose the opinions of "lawmakers" on me. Fearing the absence of such is as silly as fearing good health.

There's nothing special about me. I'm no once-in-a-century genius. I'm not brave, or particularly skilled. Maybe some would say my ignorance is causing me to not be afraid- that if I were smarter I would see why I should be scared all the time. I don't care to live in fear. That's not freedom or liberty.

-
If you get any value from my writing, consider rewarding me with your financial support commensurate with the value you receive. You can also do that with zero cost to yourself by upvoting my posts on Steemit. This blog is in its 10th year now. If you believe I have contributed anything to the conversation regarding liberty during these ten years, and believe I have more to contribute, help me keep writing without the fear of saying something to get fired over. I really, desperately could use some more help; please don't depend on the same people always helping out.


1 comment:

  1. Preparation is and always has been a good antidote to most kinds of fear.

    ReplyDelete