Saturday, September 12, 2015

My ignorance

There are plenty of things I don't know enough about. There isn't enough time to learn everything about everything which might affect me. Sometimes ignorance leads to suspicion or fear. I understand that.

What I don't understand is when people let their ignorance-based fear control them, and then use that fear as an excuse to control others.

Just for example- I don't understand fracking well enough to know whether it is harmful to groundwater or to know whether it causes earthquakes. The "stuff" I have heard against fracking sounds "reasonable", and makes me highly suspicious of the technique. But I don't know enough to really say with any confidence one way or the other. And you probably don't either even if you believe you do.

My safetyness makes me want to err on the side of caution. But not enough to get politicians and "laws" involved, since that is something I know beyond any doubt to be harmful.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment