Thursday, August 20, 2015

The Odd Beliefs of statists

(Previously posted to Patreon)

"Blah blah blah your president blah blah blah..."

"Excuse me, but I don't have a president."

"Sure you do, whether you admit it or not."

"How?"

"Blah blah blah political process, blah blah consent of the governed, blah blah blah even if you don't vote, it is a vote, blah blah..."

"I don't believe in any of those superstitious beliefs."

"It doesn't matter, you are partially responsible for whoever is elected president because of blah blah blah..."

"Well, in that case, you are responsible for President Vladimir Putin, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Kim Jong-un, and all the other head bullies around the world.
What? You say you didn't vote for them? Hmmm... I thought you were arguing that it didn't matter whether I play the political game or not, I am still responsible for whichever bully claims to be 'in charge'..."

Recently I was talking to someone when he uttered those words: "your president". Why he is my president and not the speaker's president I have no idea. Perhaps it is because the speaker is "conservative" and I am not. Still, Obama is much closer in ideology to the speaker than to me.

In reality, the conversation got derailed by someone else right after he told me, I do have a president whether I admit it or not, so I didn't have the chance to dig deeper into that bizarre delusion. And I'm not one to keep going back to a topic once its moment has passed.

But, it really got me thinking. If I have a president, that would mean I also have a pope. And an Ayatollah. But I don't. And neither do you, unless you explicitly consent.

Statists harbor such odd, magical, beliefs.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment