Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Paralyzed by fiction

When I watch certain movies and TV programs I find myself feeling the world is much more scary and violent than it has proven to be in my experience of real life. And then I think of all the people who use these scary things as justification for not acting on making their own lives more liberated.

That makes me wonder if the people who always bring up the "evil warlord" and "rampaging gangs flowing across the countryside" objections to a voluntary society watch too much violent fiction. Or, at least, believe the fiction too strongly.

I'm not saying you shouldn't watch fictional programs, but remember they are fiction!

You can spend your time worrying about magical wizards, dragons, zombies, and spacetime portals swallowing you up if that's what you choose to do, but don't allow those concerns to paralyze you. That would be sad. The same goes for all sorts of unlikely justifications for The State.

And, yes, I realize really nasty powerful (freelance) bad guys, evil warlords, and rampaging gangs are more probable than magical wizards and dragons, but just barely. And if you live where those things are probable (generally due to too much governing going on in the first place), you should really consider moving.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment