Tuesday, June 03, 2014

Fame? Success?

I don't want to be famous- I want to be successful. Only... I'm not quite sure how I would define "success" for myself.

When I see my Time's Up flag design used in places completely unrelated to me, often completely unexpectedly from sources who don't have a clue who I am or that I came up with the design, I feel a sense of success.

When I get donations, or get a check in the mail for my newspaper columns, I feel somewhat successful.

When I get supportive emails- and sometimes even when I get hate mail- I feel like I am succeeding. Not that I enjoy the hate mail...

When I run across someone quoting something I have written- whether it is attributed to me or not- I feel a warm glow of success. My words are having an impact!

So, perhaps my standards are rather low.

But, when I try to imagine what "real success" would be, I am not sure. It is hard to imagine more success than I have so far found- maybe actually being able to afford a car again might qualify, but it's not all about the money. (Much to the dismay of some people around me.) I think it has a lot to do with how I feel about myself- whether I think I am doing all I can to promote liberty and making people hunger for it, and making the world a better place. And, I think I am doing that in the best way I know how right now- while always looking for better ways. So, yeah, I do feel somewhat successful.

Thank you for helping!

.

7 comments:

  1. Hey Kent, you're a success to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Garry. And you are a constant inspiration to me (and would be even if you hadn't just written that!).

      Delete
  2. Many would define success as having a six-figure or more take-home paycheck, a mansion, a vacation home, sports cars, utility vehicles, swimming pools, servants, expensive toys, beautiful wife with prosperous career, kids in expensive private academies, and some mistresses with big breasts. But if you're doing work you like to do, doing it well, and able to make an honest living at it while living your personal life with purpose and fulfillment, than that's real success. Also, your blog is influencing some people and the mostly positive feedback you get reflects that. So as far as I can tell, you're a success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the things on that list hold very little appeal for me. I suppose that's good.
      My one splurge, if I become rich, would be a large parcel of remote mountain land with a cabin (or a dugout!) in the middle of it. And I would welcome visitors who wanted to come hang out and talk anytime.

      Delete
  3. I copy/paste smart things you say fairly often. I hope this sends some traffic your way plus promotes liberty.
    http://timlebsack.tumblr.com/search/Kent+McManigal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to mention that I always provide a link back.

      Delete
    2. That is great! Thank you!

      ("smart things you say"- that gave me a good chuckle!)

      Delete