Tuesday, April 02, 2013

Opposition to the "law" doesn't mean support for the act

Just because I know "laws" against prostitution are stupid and evil, it doesn't mean I want my sister to be a hooker.

Just because I know the War on Politically Incorrect Drugs is destructive and wrong, it doesn't mean I want my daughter in a relationship with a drug dealer.

Just because "laws" forbidding suicide are pointless and stupid, it doesn't mean I want my best friend killing herself.

There are lots of things you have a right to do that are not the best thing you could be doing.  I really don't want to see anyone doing anything to hurt themselves even when they have every right to do so.

Why is this so hard for some people to grasp?

.




2 comments:

  1. "Why is this so hard for some people to grasp?" Because you're thinking logically and they think emotionally...basically religiously emotionally. And I don't go to their church, nor do I subscribe to their religious/personal moral/emotional dogma. But you are 100% correct, just because adults have the right to do things doesn't mean I want my friends or family to do them. But I would never force them to not do them.

    Any and all non-violent, non-coerced, non-larcenous consensual adult behavior that does not physically harm other people or their property, that does not directly and immediately endanger same, that does not create a public nuisance or disturb the peace, especially if done on private property is the inalienable right of said adults.

    ReplyDelete
  2. D.M Mitchel is absolutely correct.

    I like to recommend this essay ( PDF - a chapter from a larger work) for an understandable treatment of anarchy.

    Sam

    ReplyDelete