Monday, January 31, 2011

Mother Nature, Bring it on!

I hate to admit it, but I love a good crisis (or potential crisis). Not in the "never let a good crisis go to waste" way the thugs of the fe(de)ral government love a crisis, though. They love a crisis because it gives them an excuse to violate the liberty and the rights of others. They love the harm it does to others and the panic that it causes and the power they are able to grab in the wake of the crisis.

I love a crisis because it makes me feel more alive and challenges me in a way I find invigorating. The crisis can be a purely personal thing that doesn't even involve other people at all. I wish no damage on anyone. Well, no one who is innocent, anyway.

I was thinking about this tonight in relation to the huge winter storm that is supposedly bearing down on a big chunk of North America. Even though I am on the southern edge of the storm path and not expecting anything very crisis-like in this area it is fun to think about.

The thought of a big storm with impassible roads and power outages is very exciting for me. Mostly because I feel prepared to handle it, and have lived through similar things before with no problem. I even enjoy the slight "inconveniences". It's an adventure!

There is an exception, though. I hate financial crises. This is because I feel inadequate and unable to handle those. Money hears me coming and runs away. I guess it all depends on how well you are able to weather a particular storm as to whether it is a fearful thing or an adventure.
*
Donate or buy my books to help me through my ongoing financial crisis.

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about handling what nature brings, but I try not to tempt Mother Nature. In my AO, she has a nasty habit of meeting the challenge with weeks of -40 to -50 temps.

    :-)

    Good luck with the storm, I bet she's got a doozie whipped up...

    AP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah. It fizzled. Instead of 3 to 5 inches of snow, we got half an inch here. Still coldish and windy but nothing particularly interesting. Maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete