Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Seeking donations

I'm embarrassed to do this, but I am going to have to ask for donations. Not to be used for expensive, trivial things, but for living expenses. Plus the luxury of an internet connection and a phone if there is anything left over.

Others do it, so I guess it is accepted. It just feels dirty, somehow, for me to do so.

Our household income has just gone down by another $350 per month. And that's on top of the $300 per month we lost just a few months ago. That is a significant percentage of our total income. Really significant. In a month or so we will also lose our seasonal income of $150 per month until next spring. Needless to say, it's a critical situation.

I have mentioned my computer problems before. That's the least of my worries. My car broke down a few months ago, and resisted all my efforts to repair it. The car I was borrowing from my parents broke down last week. I do still have my bicycle and trailer (which I use to haul my 3-year-old daughter around town), so I'm not completely stranded, but considering that for most business I have to cross the state line and go 8 to 13 miles down the highway (and then through city traffic), a bike with a kid trailer isn't the best option. Plus, the only grocery store in this town displays a big "no guns allowed" sign, so I hate to give them my business.

This time I have nothing I am auctioning off in exchange for the money, nothing to offer in return, and I'm not simply asking for page views.

Paypal, Gpal, or any method you prefer is welcome. If you can do a recurring donation, that would be wonderful. Help if you can, but please don't put yourself in a bad spot if you can't afford to help me. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. Kent,

    I'm glad I didn't get going with the laptop right away. TBH, I looked at refurb Toshibas, and there was a little sticker shock, whereupon I realized that paying for one would take months, or some help from others.

    I can't do a lot, but I can do a little over time. I only get paid twice a month, and only one of those is available to spend. Earliest I can help is mid-month, after the 15th.

    Hang in there.

    p.s. Do you do your own car repairs? Do you need tools or parts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really bad with car repairs. I did try, but only made things worse.

    I have my car back now. Working, if I could put gas in it, that is. It took all the silver and gold I had to pay for the repairs, but at least I had something.

    I am using someone else's computer right now, but this one has more problems than my laptop did before it died. It is a monumental effort to write the Examiner articles on this one. Every day I wonder if it is worth the effort. But, that dollar or so is needed and so far I just knuckle down and do it.

    Like I said, don't endanger your own finances to help me. Your responsibility is to your own family.

    ReplyDelete