Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Computers die too

I had a computer scare tonight. My computer started making awful sounds and kept re-starting, but never going to my sign-in screen. Just as suddenly as it started doing that, it repaired itself and is seeming to work fine right now. Will it last?

Chances are I will not be able to afford another computer anytime soon if this one dies. Maybe if that happens I will take it as a sign that my years of embracing technology and writing about liberty have come to an abrupt end and it is time to go back to my stone tools and leather full time. There are worse things.

So, if I suddenly disappear from the online world, you will know what probably happened.

2 comments:

  1. "So, if I suddenly disappear from the online world,.."

    That would be a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do a detailed scan of your hard drive. Whatever your favorite tool for defragging your drive will also do a scan.

    Most likely your problem is bad sectors on your hard drive. If you isolate them now, you won't have any further trouble.

    If you can afford $60, I'd go get another hard drive for your computer and do a full backup onto it. Then if things do crash, ten minutes of swapping them out will restore everything.

    ReplyDelete