Sunday, July 05, 2009

Time For the News?

The "news" just pisses me off.

The wrong things are emphasized, the wrong questions are asked, and the wrong conclusions are drawn . What more could the national news media* do to make themselves irrelevant?

I hate to admit it, but I really have little interest in the news, especially where politics is concerned. If it relates to my opinions, then I may pay a bit of attention to it for a moment or two. I weigh its implications as it relates to my opinions and see if I need to alter my views in light of the new "information" (or, more likely, propaganda), and then I put it out of my mind.

What about new national "laws" that may affect me? I long ago made the decision that I will not obey any "laws" that are counterfeit unless it is convenient to do so, or unless I am staring down the barrel of a loaded Liberty Eradication Operative ("LEO"). Assume liberty.

I'm not saying this is the best attitude to have, nor would I ever put anyone down for having more interest in the news than I have. It's just that if you come here or visit my Examiner column to read my opinion on the latest proposed "law" or political scandal, you will usually be disappointed. If, however, you want to read what I think about the world in general, and liberty specifically, then I am your man. And you never know: occasionally some bit of "current events" may just sneak in.

*To a certain extent, the local news matters a little more. It is more likely to affect me directly today. I still go through periods where I just can't stomach it, either.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's quite understandable to have an aversion to news -- at least the news that comes from the corporate "mainstream" Media.

    Still, it's surely important to know what's going on in society -- for your own benefit, not just for the sake of it. If you can find the right sources of information/commentary, you might even visit them habitually after a while.

    Or maybe you just like the big picture ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the "big picture" is what I prefer. I am more interested in events than political news anyway. Political news always comes down to "what are the Rulers doing today to try to enslave me more?". It is good to know some of that, but it really doesn't change much day to day or year to year. My most recent Examiner column explains my views on that a bit more: link

    ReplyDelete