Saturday, February 17, 2024

Is "useful" elusive?


What is something I could do that would be useful? 

Not just useful for myself, but for liberty. For you.

I’d like to be more useful— as I’ve always wanted to be. I’m not sure that the ways I’ve tried to be useful have been as useful as I’d hoped.

Is my blogging still useful (assuming it ever was)? Does it seem like I have said everything I have to say (after nearly 17 ½ years) and I'm just repeating myself now? What do you think?

What could I do that would be useful?

I’m not going to promote any politician.
I’m not going to align with any political party.
I’m not going to express support for any government institution.
I’ll never support the police or the military in any way.
I’ll never pretend government is legitimate or good. Or necessary. Or that it protects us, or our liberty. That it is anything other than a criminal organization.

Like so many others do with such enthusiasm.

I don't see those things as useful but as actively harmful. It makes me cringe when I see many prominent social media libertarians (Libertarians) doing those things. 

Sure, you do you, but I see so much pro-government extremism from some of them-- many of whom have "libertarian" in their profile name-- that it makes me wonder how they can reconcile it. To me it looks like wanting a seat at the Big Table, some crumbs to snack on, and a pat on the head from people in positions of political power-- who they frequently pose with, smiling from ear to ear. Unironically!

I want to be more useful than that, but at least useful and not harmful.

Any suggestions?

-
Liberty is the greatest good!
If you want to support what I do, you will. If not, you won't.
Thank you.

Also this or this

2 comments:

  1. "There is a Remnant there that you know nothing about. They are obscure, unorganized, inarticulate, each one rubbing along as best he can. They need to be encouraged and braced up because when everything has gone completely to the dogs, they are the ones who will come back and build up a new society; and meanwhile, your preaching will reassure them and keep them hanging on. Your job is to take care of the Remnant, so be off now and set about it."
    https://mises.org/library/isaiahs-job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That passage is always in the back of my mind. I'm wondering if I am still encouraging and bracing them, and reassuring them. I hope I am-- but as that passage goes on to say, it's usually impossible to know.

      Delete