Saturday, November 11, 2023

Justifying present wrongs with past wrongs


Everyone wants to justify the archation that they do (things they have no right to do) by pointing to what someone else did in the past.

That's such a bad idea.

You can only judge current rightness or wrongness by the present. 

You can't demand reparations for historical wrongs. Those you'd steal the money from didn't commit the wrongs and you weren't the victim.

You can't justify a war by what "the other side" did in the past. (I don't think you can ever justify a war where you are doing more than killing individual invaders and the politicians who sent them, but that's a separate issue.)

I can't hunt down my second ex-wife because of the things she did to me at the end of our time together.  

If you go back through the past to look for ways to justify your current actions, you'll always be able to find something. History is a neverending story of who did what to whom. How about you just do what you have a right to do now and leave the past in the past.

-
This blog is my job. You get to decide if I get paid. 
Please consider it.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment