Wednesday, May 03, 2023

It's authoritarian to ban drag shows


I have zero interest, or less, in drag shows. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm automatically against them and it certainly doesn't mean I want government to ban them.

I once won $15 (1st prize!) at a karaoke Halloween party (20+ years ago) because my best friend made me up to look like a (6' 3"+) woman. She had a strange compulsion where that was concerned. On the upside, I got more positive female attention that night than just about any time in my life. So, I'm not going to judge such things with a blanket condemnation.

But, I also didn't look like a drunk's interpretation of what he imagined a woman might look like if she were the victim of vandalism by a gang of clowns on LSD. I don't think drag performers look anything like women; more like sex clowns.

Not my thing, but you do what you like. I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

On the other hand, I don't think a responsible parent would take their kids to a drag show-- especially not one where the performers are simulating sex acts with each other and the audience (including the kids in attendance). Maybe you could convince me it has some educational value or something in specific circumstances, but I'm skeptical. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

You might say this just means I don't understand. You'd be right. I don't. There are many things I don't understand that I don't judge. And there are many things I judge internally that I'm not going to throw stones at you for disagreeing with me.

I also don't think a responsible parent would take their kids to the types of "high fashion" shows I've seen clips of. 

I've been to places and events personally where I don't think kids should be, even if I don't think it was wrong for adults to be there. There were sometimes kids in attendance and I never attacked the parents for bringing them.

I'm not sending government after you if you make different choices than I would. Your kids are your kids, they don't belong to me, the collective, or the village, and you can feel free to ignore my opinion and my inner judgment. I just may not think you are responsible. That shouldn't carry any weight at all if you disagree.

-
Help me cover the expense of my colon surgery, if you can and if you want to.
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment