Thursday, January 26, 2023

If I seem miserable...


In about 2 weeks, on February 8, I'm going in for the medical procedure I've been dreading for months.

It's the follow-up colonoscopy to the one last summer that had some troublesome results. If that colonoscopy isn't better than the last I'll be going in for surgery-- possibly the next day. If the surgery is necessary they'll be removing a section of my colon.

I hope it all goes better than the last appointment I had.

I recently went in for a follow-up on my liver issue, but I was turned away at the desk because they said my referral had expired. They never even looked at my insurance or anything, just looked at the sheets of paper they had on the desk in front of them (that apparently they'd never glanced at). Why they couldn't have said something before I drove 90 miles, one way, I don't know. They wouldn't even call to get a referral; just "Nope. We can't see you". This was the second time-- out of four appointments-- I arrived only to have them refuse to see me for some bureaucratic nonsense. I told them I will not be coming back.

I realize that choice may kill me.

At least I'm still pursuing the colon problem.

I'd be lying if I said this is having no effect on my attitude and ability to write. It is. I'm trying to not let it, but I can't get it out of my mind. I apologize to you all, and especially to my supporters.

-
Every little bit helps.

4 comments:

  1. That's just rotten - about the doctor's office not even mentioning that the referral had expired before you drove so far to go there. I definitely wish you the best results possible on your colonoscopy. If you have to go in for surgery, bring some disinfectant wipes to clean all your areas once you wake up - they'll get you out of there as soon as they can but hospitals are dirty places and this is a cheap and easy way of avoiding picking up something nasty on a bedside surface. All the best to you! -Roh

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! You're letting concerns about your mortality affect your ability to write? How dare you! Speaking only for myself, there's no need for you to apologize and I appreciate your sharing the frustration and worry. It always helps to remind each other that we're human.

    An officious nurse recently refused to let my wife take a urine sample to a clinic 10 minutes from home, instead insisting that she drive 45 minutes to be seen for what she believed to be a urinary tract infection. My wife went to an Urgent Care Clinic instead, where they referred her to the ER and she spent five days in the hospital for a ruptured appendix. After the nurse's rebuff, she seriously considered just staying home and gutting it out. We can only imagine the result had she done that. We decided that the health system remains stressed because a huge number of the wisest and most capable doctors and nurses accepted termination rather than submit to the jab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for understanding.
      And you might be right. The bad thing is, I really liked the liver doc... if I could get through the bureaucratic gauntlet to see her. The colonoscopy doctor seems really good, too. Nothing against either of them, I just don't want to be going to see them.

      Delete