Sunday, November 22, 2020

Someone is causing strife. Is it me?


I seem to be the cause of great distress among my family. I'm stubborn and pig-headed.

A niece of mine is expecting a baby in early December. Her doctor told her to make sure anyone she brings the baby into contact with over the holidays has been vaccinated with both a flu shot and a "Tdap" shot. I suspect if the Covid-19 vaccine were available, that would have been included.

I politely told my parents I wouldn't do that, and I wouldn't force my daughter to get those shots, either. (I did give my daughter the choice; she declined.) I would just stay home while my niece and the baby were there. No hard feelings on my part. Ground rules were laid out and I made my choice. Simple solution, right?

Apparently not.

I'm now the bad guy. I'm told I'm making a big deal out of this. How am I making a big deal? I informed them of my decision and as far as I was concerned that was the end of it. But others aren't willing to let it go.

Notice, I didn't say I didn't want her to come for Christmas and bring the baby. I didn't criticize anyone else for agreeing to the conditions. All I said was that I wasn't willing to do that. nor was I willing to force my daughter to do it.

They actually said if the roles were reversed I would want everyone to get the vaccinations. Do they know me at all? Maybe I'm too quiet around them and need to start speaking my mind a little more. I try to not be "that guy" who harps on one subject and tries to turn every conversation toward that. But... maybe I need to speak up a little more.

Thank you for helping support KentforLiberty.com
Browse my TeeSpring merch shop
Check out my prepper community on locals!

3 comments:

  1. In my experience, some people can't take yes for an answer. It's not good enough for them to have things their way -- for some reason they NEED you to agree that they are right and act as though you agree that they're right. Merely going about your own business and letting them go about theirs just isn't good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly you hate babies, are a racist and watch too much "fox news". Lol.

    But seriously, you've identified a common problem liberty folk have with many relatives. I AM that guy at Thanksgiving. Maybe say "my body, my choice" and the more docile and obedient family members will then all understand...or not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just another example of the perverse ubiquity of the most common, almost universal, human failing; the belief in social power. Someone else ‘knows’ what is best for you, not you, not even for yourself alone. ‘They’ know what is best for you. The least harmful of them will just tell this to you while the worst will force you to comply for their satisfaction and, of course, ‘for your own good’.

    ReplyDelete