Thursday, September 10, 2020

Not everyone is political


To people who are political, standing up to them and their politics seems political. If you do so they'll claim this is evidence that you are political, just like they are.

That's the same faulty thinking that makes an irrational person believe that killing someone who intends to harm or kill you is murder.

Shooting an attacker is not murder. 

Opposing someone's aggressive politics-- without advocating the use of aggressive politics against them-- is not political. It's not the same-- the initiation of force (lacking consent) makes all the difference.


-

Writing to promote liberty is my job.
YOU get to decide if I get paid.
I hope I add something you find valuable enough to support.

2 comments:

  1. My wife and I had a difficult 15 minutes or so yesterday when we passed the lone political sign in our neighborhood (for Biden, if that matters). Things went south when my wife said anyone who supported Trump had bad "core values".

    Me: "You sound like my brother, who said I had bad "core values" because I think masking was a bad idea. I think Trump is the lesser of the two major party evils. Does that I mean I have bad core values?"

    Mrs. H: "You support TRUMP?!"

    Me: "No, the lesser of two evils doesn't mean support. Especially since I don't vote. And if I were to register to vote - which I won't - I wouldn't vote for either of those arseholes. I'd vote for the lesser of three evils, the LP candidate."

    Mrs. H: "A vote for a third party is a vote for Trump."

    Me: "No, it's a vote for the person you actually voted for."

    Mrs. H: "Only Trump or Biden can win. So if you vote third party, you're throwing away your vote. So it's a vote for Trump."

    Me: "I literally just said who I would vote for, if I believed in voting, and it wasn't Trump. So, the 120 million people who, like me, aren't voting because we don't support voting for evil at all, are all bad people who are voting for Trump?"


    And so on, until we resumed our ongoing truce on talking about politics.

    Jim Henshaw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that does sound uncomfortable. But, as you can guess, I think your position is the reasonable one.

      Delete