Thursday, May 14, 2020

Bizarre overly-political questions



There's an interesting thing I've noticed while on Quora. Those with a name that appears to me to be of Indian (subcontinent) origin ask a lot of questions which are the political equivalent of "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?'

Stuff like "Can you describe the seven principles of governing each of the 5 classes of citizens and how these principles affect their traditional duties to all levels of the state?"

That was obviously a totally made-up question, but anyone who spends much time on Quora can probably confirm it accurately reflects the form of the questions they tend to ask. Who worries this deeply about politics?

Only a highly intelligent person could come up with such questions, but it seems like a tragic waste of brainpower.

That makes me wonder if their culture (whichever culture that might be) is obsessed with politics in a way I don't see elsewhere-- even among most Trumpeters and TDS sufferers.

It could just be that I tend to notice those bizarre questions more than others. Or, because they deal with things I've never heard of, they stick in my mind longer. Or, I might be making bad assumptions about the origins of the names. It could be confirmation bias or racism. But over and over these questions jump out at me. I don't often try to answer them, unless the core principle of "govern yourself, not others" applies in a way I can easily explain.
-

Writing to promote liberty is my job.
YOU get to decide if I get paid.
I hope I add something you find valuable enough to support.

2 comments:

  1. That question about 7 ways of governing 5 classes is easy. My answer is "No" and I'm certain it's correct. Do I get a cookie? Or a Master's in Civil Administration?

    You've touched though on an interesting sidelight of the Bogus Plague. India and Pakistan have huge bureaucracies in government, both trained by the British Colonialists, so their attention to detail is minute. If they report that X people per million have died from the WuFlu, it's probably correct.

    Today those rates are 2 and 4 respectively, compared with an alleged 263 in the US.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am certain your answer is correct. You get a Master's in Liberty... or something like that.

      Delete