Friday, November 01, 2019

Making people... better

Capt. Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds (Serenity): This report is maybe twelve years old. Parliament buried it, and it stayed buried 'til River dug it up. This is what they feared she knew. And they were right to fear, 'cause there's a universe of folk that are gonna know it too. They're gonna see it. Somebody has to speak for these people. You all got on this boat for different reasons, but you all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. 'Cause as sure as I know anything I know this: They will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground, swept clean. A year from now, ten, they'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more running. I aim to misbehave.
Removing people's tools of defense (self- and other) doesn't make them better people. It doesn't make for a better world. Not on any world.

It makes them dependent, scared, weak, and less safe.

You may believe your society, with more anti-gun "laws", means it is more advanced; better. You'd be wrong.

Yes, statists believe they can ban guns and make people better, or at least make society better. And safer. It's a religious belief on their part. They'll pursue it until they can't anymore. They will try again. Over and over, anywhere they get the chance. Believing they are somehow making people... better. I do not hold to that.

I aim to misbehave.
-

Writing to promote liberty is my job.
I hope I add something you find valuable enough to support. If so...
YOU get to decide if I get paid.

5 comments:

  1. isn't murder "illegal"?
    aren't herbs illegal?
    building without a permit?
    moonshine?
    tearing off a mattress tag?
    aren't illegals, "illegal"? Proof of the effectiveness of laws on curbing behavior.

    but the goal is NOT to change behavior.
    the goal is to herd the sheep. historically, scary fiction does that pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Scott Adams would say those "laws" add "friction-- giving you less of a behavior (and ignoring the downside to that).

      Delete
    2. killing newsprint should give us less Scott Adams

      Delete
    3. Unfortunately, that would remove a big chunk of my income, as well. Which some people would probably celebrate..

      Delete
  2. and to capture dependent slaves "into the legal system"

    ReplyDelete