Thursday, July 11, 2019

The census and "the citizenship question"




I realize the census is authorized, or required, by the Constitution. I also recognize why it is-- to apportion "taxation" and "representation", two things I have zero use for.

I didn't respond to the census last time; I plan to ignore it again next time.

The census is "allowed" by the Constitution to ask one question: "How many people live here?" That's it. Period.

It isn't allowed to ask anything else, including whether those who are responding are slaves to the US State... I mean, "citizens of the US".

It doesn't matter who wants to ask additional questions. It doesn't matter how the additional questions are excused or justified.

If you value the Constitution you know the questions aren't permitted. If, like me, you know the Constitution is only good for showing how far America has fallen, you probably feel no obligation to answer the census anyway.

The "citizenship question" is a red herring.
-

Writing is my job.
YOU get to decide if I get paid.

5 comments:

  1. Those asking more than the one question their Charter seems to authorize will be committing what they call a "crime." Demanding information under "color of law".

    Would there be any mileage in submitting them to a Citizen's Arrest, perhaps with a camera taking pictures ready to transmit to the Press?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, probably not. The Press would take their side, even if they opposed that one question causing the controversy.

      Delete
  2. They aren't even authorized to get your name. Enumeration. Counting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly.
      Plus, I don't see how authorizing them to ask obligates anyone to answer.

      Delete
  3. There's no good reason to open unsolicited junk mail. Everything marked "urgent", "response required", etc... goes straight into the recycling! There's also no good reason to open the door for anyone you're not expecting.

    ReplyDelete