Sunday, October 14, 2018

Do you care if someone benefits "unfairly"?



A lot of people are very concerned with making sure no one gets anything for free. Very concerned with not allowing anyone to have the opportunity to be a "free rider".

This confuses and amuses me.

I do lawn care, with another person, for my parents. As part of that, we mow and trim the alley behind their house. I also trim around the dumpster my parents use. It isn't exactly in their part of the alley but is next door, adjacent to their part. No one else trims around it. But since my parents use it, and they both worry excessively about snakes, I take a few seconds and keep the grass and weeds in front of the dumpster cleared away.

Yes, I know this act benefits others who haven't paid to get the benefit; I don't care. But it annoys my assistant that I do this. Badly. She says that's "not our job". She doesn't want other people to benefit in any way from our work.

That's how the statist mind works. It's sad.
-

This blog is my job.
YOU get to decide if I get paid.

2 comments:

  1. free will ?
    it must be regulated and taxed!
    (or so say the statists)

    "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
    -Frederic Bastiat

    "In general, the art of government consists of taking as much money as possible from one party of the citizens to give to the other."
    -Voltaire

    "No man’s life, liberty, or property is safe while Congress is in session."
    -Mark Twain

    "The government is like a baby’s alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other."
    -Ronald Reagan

    "The only difference between a tax man and a taxidermist is that the taxidermist leaves the skin."
    -Mark Twain

    If it moves, tax it.
    If it keeps moving, regulate it.
    And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
    -Ronald Reagan

    "I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."
    -Winston Churchill

    "A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
    -George Bernard Shaw


    https://www.redstate.com/diary/kjl291/2009/04/09/tax-quotes-throughout-history-ronald-reagan-mark-twain-karl-marx-etc/

    ReplyDelete
  2. True that the mind of a statist can be quite warped. In your lawn mowing example, I would ask myself: does it hurt anyone including me? Does it benefit anyone? And make my decision that way. It doesn't hurt anyone - it costs you little time. It benefits your parents and everyone else who uses that alley. So what's wrong with doing it? Nothing. Unless your mind is warped. Some people don't even like it when people hold doors for each other. Like you say, sad.

    ReplyDelete