Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Tip-toeing through the Valley of Dangerous Opinions



Since it seems I already have half of the world annoyed with me for expressing my honest opinion in today's newspaper column (although I suspect almost no one read the whole column, before getting upset over the headline and/or first few paragraphs), I suppose this is as good a time as any to express another unpopular opinion.

I believe some homosexuality is genetic and some is by choice. Call it nature vs nurture, or intrinsic vs environmental/experiential, or whatever. I have no idea how much is which, nor do I care one way or the other. This opinion is based on personal observation and personal acquaintances.

And, just like the subject of my newspaper column, I know that it has absolutely no bearing on the rights a person has. As I say in the column (which I recommend you read):

"As a human you have the full complement of human rights-- life, liberty, property, and the pursuit of happiness-- just because you are alive. End of story."


I probably have other unpopular opinions-- I've been made aware of a few over the years. Watch for them. But especially watch to see if I advocate statist actions based on my personal opinions, and burn me alive if I do.

-
Thank you for helping support KentforLiberty.com

4 comments:

  1. I read the whole column, excerpted and linked it at Rational Review, etc. It would have been a great piece if you hadn't completely blown the science part out your ass at the very beginning and _in the name of science_ to boot. But hey, that happens to all of us in one way or another sometimes, I guess.

    I agree with you regarding sexual orientation. I know people who are convinced they were "born this way" vis a vis sexual orientation, and people who are convinced their orientation is largely environmental in origin. No reason why it might not be one thing for one person, another thing for a second person, a mix of things for a third. And as you point out, it doesn't affect their rights in any way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had this discussion with my wife several years ago. I told her that for some, my example at the time was Elton John, but it could have been someone else, for some, homosexuality was probably hardwired into their brains or something. And for others, it was a learned or chosen behavior. As a Christian, I choose not to be someone else's judge. I instead choose to do the same thing that Christ did, and that was to meet people where they are, not where you want or expect them to be.

    ReplyDelete