Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Wake up while it's still a choice

Years ago I had a really good friend I could discuss anything with. On almost every subject we were either in complete agreement, or close to it.

But, one day he got drunk and called me up, tearing into me over my opinion of cops.

I don't even know why the subject crossed his mind at that moment, because we never really discussed cops. It was more or less an untouched topic, and for it to suddenly cause anger in him confused me. I don't really remember how I responded to him at the time, though. Probably like I would respond to any angry drunk spouting nonsense.

Well, fast forward about a week or so, and he calls me again. This time telling me that he always thought I was crazy for what I thought about cops and other government, but he now realized I was right.

The difference was that the evening before, cops had shown up at his door and treated him like a criminal; threatening him and tossing accusations. It was a wake-up call for him.

Why is it that so few people can see reality before it bites them in the butt? Why do they have to be violated before recognizing that others are being violated? It's something I have a hard time understanding.

I never want to be one of those people who ignores evil until it directly affects them or those they love. I don't have to be murdered to understand that murder is evil.

(Steemit link)

-
A big "thank you!" to supporters of this blog. I probably couldn't keep doing this without you.


No comments:

Post a Comment