Tuesday, December 15, 2015

I've been "triggered"

For the first time in my life I am experiencing being "triggered". You know, the experience where mere words or ideas can make you upset.

My daughter's recent death is the cause.

When someone says "I was dying!" or references death in some other trivial way I want to scream. Or lash out.

But, I know the problem is inside myself. If I coddle this problem it will grow worse.

I would never dream of begging for "trigger warnings" or other such enabling nonsense because I want to get over it. At least as much as humanly possible. My reactions make me feel stupid, and I don't like feeling stupid.

It's disturbing to me how many people are perfectly comfortable wallowing in their "triggering", to the point of going public and asking everyone else to change to protect their delicate feelings.

.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Kent, that really sucks. It sucks too that you'll be "triggered" this way for a long time, and only time will make it better. And by 'better' I mean you may not get that anxious uncomfortable feeling *quite as much*.

    Oh Kent :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are to be commended, sir, for maintaining your priciples in the face of the unthinkable.

    I can't even imagine the pain.

    ReplyDelete