Wednesday, January 28, 2015

If you're right, what do you care what I think?

Recently I have upset a lot of people ("conservatives") with my opinions on the mass murderer, serial killer Chris Kyle, and "capital punishment".

That is understandable.

I'm still right on both counts.

However, what does it matter? It's "just" my opinion.

Chris Kyle is dead, the movie beatifying his worthless murdering hide is a huge success, and my opinion won't likely talk even one person out of selling their soul to the State, especially if they hunger to murder large numbers of people without "legal" consequence. Those on that path aren't going to be reading my opinion anyway. I wouldn't use The State or its "laws" to stop them even if I could.

And, on the topic of "capital punishment", statists are going to do what they are going to do. I am powerless to stop even one "execution". Sure, if I saw a person in the public square, kneeling to be beheaded, and I were able to take a shot- just like a military sniper- to kill the executioner as he raised the sword, I would do it. Before you compare me to a military sniper, let me remind you this act would be my responsibility; my "fault", individually. Not "just following orders" or "just doing my job". I couldn't justify my actions by the gang I belong to. This would be killing to save a life by stopping a government action, against a person not currently initiating force nor property rights violations, in progress. Not just a potential act, but an imminent one. I would not shoot the same guy if he were simply walking through the square with a sword or firearm, nor if he were going after an obvious armed trespasser (obvious by the gang colors the trespasser wore), there to cause him or others harm. But, unless public executions become a thing in America, I wont be in any position to stop one. I don't trespass uninvited.

So, basically, all the anger over my opinions is silly. People are getting upset over what I think of them, or of people and practices they like. If I'm wrong, what do you care what I think of you? Not enough people read this blog for it to have much impact in how others think of you or those things you support.

If you believe you are right, keep doing or supporting those things and don't worry your conscience. If deep down you suspect I might be right, do some thinking for yourself.

.

10 comments:

  1. I find statists to be very insecure people. Their entire identity is tied up with the institution they worship- the state. So, when you “insult” their God-State, you insult them.
    Childish, yes, but a response you would expect from a cult member.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And how many murders would change your mind? Suppose a guy murders your neighbor, then peacefully surrenders hours later and offers "recompensation." Then a month later, he kills again. Again, after the act, he is non-vioilent. He is only violent during his assassinations, never when confronted. How many murders before you put him down? 3? 30? 300? "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." I could not in good conscious do nothing while my friends and neighbors were being slaughtered. You've already said imprisonment is off the table (which I agree with, btw.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't about numbers, or who is murdered.
      In the hypothetical case, I would do everything I could to warn people what he has done in the past in hopes that his next intended victim kills him in defense. I might even murder the guy myself to stop him from killing again. But, I admit it would be murder if he wasn't currently engaging in aggression. I would accept the consequences of my actions and feel good about what I had done.

      Delete
  3. I came here out of curiosity, via a link in Rational Review News Digest. I would not normally bother to comment on your blog, but I just briefly want to say that I agree with you. Not about capital punishment, nor about about American Sniper (which I haven't seen yet and thus cannot evaluate). But I agree that your opinions don't particularly matter. Very few people will read them, and if they do it's rather silly to get upset about them. Your writing style isn't bad, your views are your own, and they are easily ignored. That's what I'll likely do. Or if I don't, and come back at some time in the future to read your blog, that's on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me wonder what you were doing wandering around over in your enemies' territory (Rational Review) to even find a link here in the first place- but congrats, I guess. LOL.

      Delete
  4. I enjoy your writing, even if I often disagree with it. I have no problems with you as a person. That's why I've read your posts and never attacked you. The Constitution certainly grants you the right to publish what your conscience believes. I believe that your base ideas are sound, but that you sometimes apply them in impractical ways. Still, the country needs to move in the direction of liberty so your blog is useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must not be doing a good job of communicating if you are still operating under the belief that the Constitution grants rights, rather than making it a crime for the government to meddle with those absolute human rights. But I do thank you for reading and considering.

      Delete
  5. I came here out of curiosity, via a link in Rational Review News Digest. I would not normally bother to comment on your blog, but I just briefly want to say that I agree with you. Not about capital punishment, nor about about American Sniper (which I haven't seen yet and thus cannot evaluate). But I agree that your opinions don't particularly matter. Very few people will read them, and if they do it's rather silly to get upset about them. Your writing style isn't bad, your views are your own, and they are easily ignored. That's what I'll likely do. Or if I don't, and come back at some time in the future to read your blog, that's on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You double-posted, but that's OK. As I say, I just wonder why you were perusing Rational Review, since that is obviously enemy territory for you. I think it's good you are reading links from their magnificent site, even if you choose to never come back here. They'll help you come to grips with some things if you keep reading.

      Delete
    2. My apologies for the double post. I apparently had left a browser window open this morning, and when I came back just now to close it I saw the double post. Don't know how that happened. As for Rational Review, I look at it from time to time because it has some interesting links. And since I am a libertarian (albeit you may disagree) I hardly consider it enemy territory.

      Delete