Thursday, July 03, 2014

Restricting liberty inevitably tragic

Restricting liberty inevitably tragic

(My Clovis News Journal column for May 30, 2014. Sorry, I was late posting the whole thing to the blog this time!)

As soon as I heard about the Santa Barbara, California, murders I held my breath and waited for the anti-gun advocates to start dancing in the blood- I didn't need to wait long.

Six innocent people died- three of those shot to death. All because one person (who came from a home of confessed anti-gun advocates, by the way) felt rejected and inferior. He was seething with homicidal racial hatred, against "white people" and "black" men, which he blamed on blonde women who wouldn't date him.

His rants showed no hint of self responsibility for his situation, nor any awareness that perhaps women- all women- rejected him because he was exhibiting violent tendencies, socially awkward behavior, and harboring violent fantasies.

I'm sure if he had survived his murder spree he would claim no responsibility for those who died at his hands, but would blame his victims in some way.

Many other people will choose to place the blame elsewhere, as he did, but on one tool he used, instead. He blamed blonde women; most observers with an anti-liberty bias will blame the gun. In their minds it couldn't be entirely his fault.

Might as well pretend the stabbing deaths didn't happen, or find a way to blame them on the gun, too. It's the standard drill after these tragedies occur.

California already has some of the most onerous anti-gun laws in the country- the same kind we are told will keep us safe. How is that working out?

Gun haters believe if you just keep kids away from guns, and keep them ignorant about how guns work, the kids will be safe.

Let's try the same with water safety and see how refusing to teach kids to swim, or sensible behavior in and around water, pans out. Don't act shocked and angered- and don't blame water- when kids drown due to enforced ignorance.

Kids and guns do mix. It's the best way to teach them the proper way to use the tools, and the consequences of mishandling them, early enough for the lessons to stick. In addition, the libertarian principle of never "initiating force" will go a long way toward avoiding intentional aggression, with or without a gun.

Some people find it easier to blame inanimate objects, or claim other people made them do bad things. Plus, as long as people keep seeking excuses to justify aggression, while at the same time demonizing defensive violence, more tragedies will result.

Restricting liberty is never the solution, and inevitably leads to a tragic destination. It's long past time to start respecting the Rightful Liberty of every person, whoever and wherever they may be.
.

5 comments:

  1. What's ironic about these new calls for gun control is that the killer didn't violate any existing gun laws, other than committing murder. Also, in spite of his rantings against women, the majority of his victims were men. The coverage of this case and the leftist reaction to it boggle the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's past time to start telling hoplophobes straight to their face, "Shut the fuck up and go get some therapy."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember how different things were when I was 6 years old and my neighbor (a police LT. btw) knocked on our door and asked my parents if I could or would like to join him in the backyard for a little education about firearms, along with several other youngsters.
    I can't say for sure that I would not have gotten the same lessons from my father or grandfather (none of us are/were afraid of guns and use(d) them for sport and self-protection), but I don't think this kind of thing happens much anymore.
    And I never heard anything like 'see a gun, call 911' until I was well past 40.
    Howcome I didn't grow up to be a murdering loathsome scumbag? I don't get it. I have had guns all my life, have used one successfully for self-defense (without injuring anyone) and continue to enjoy shooting.
    Most people don't even know that I carry one, and that's a good thing I guess, but I really don't understand the irrational fear ...
    tip of the hat to you again for telling the plain truth.
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  4. I firmly believe that the act of keeping kids ignorant of guns- and giving them a mysterious "don't touch" aura- makes misuse and accidents much more likely. If you want kids to sneak around behind your back, forbid something.
    When I was a kid I knew exactly where all the guns were, and where the ammo was. And I also knew that any time I wanted to handle or shoot a gun, all I had to do was ask. So it never even occurred to me to sneak in and handle a gun without my dad's knowledge. I have raised all my kids the same way.

    ReplyDelete