Sunday, April 20, 2014

Gratitude, or its opposite.

I was just listening to a video from a pretty "famous" (as these things go) libertarian/anarchist guy where he was complaining about a small donation he got. He went on about the value of what he was providing, and talked about if you don't "put your money where your mouth is" no one will listen when you say the free market and charity can fill the role of The State.

I was embarrassed listening to him.

Now, he did somewhat temper his message a little later in his video, and made some really good points about having a passion for what you claim to believe- but I almost didn't get past the first few minutes.

I have never complained or ridiculed any donation I have gotten. Not even in the privacy of my own head. Nor do I expect people to pay for what I do or to feel guilty if they don't pay something. And I am certainly not going to publicly scold- even anonymously- someone who actually donated money to me. That's just not the way this works.

Some people can't afford to donate- I get that and it's perfectly OK. I still want them to get what they can from what I write. I'm convinced they can make my life better that way, while improving the quality of their own lives even more. A deeper understanding of liberty can only benefit everyone.

Nor do I have some delusion that I "deserve" donations more than someone else does. There are more deserving and more "important" liberty advocates out there who are more valuable than I am, and do much more important work. Maybe even the guy who was complaining about the small donation.

I also know that everyone has a life. It's an honor to even be a tiny blip on their daily calendar, and no one is obligated to sit around and dwell on me in any way.

I'm not sure why his complaint disturbed me so badly- it may be that it just seemed so ungrateful.

You don't "owe" me anything by reading my blog. And please don't ever get the idea that I believe you do!

.

3 comments:

  1. That's a great theory...his choosing to provide value, creates an obligation in others to pay. And lo and behold, it can even be quantified in dollars. I wonder if anyone every thought of that before.

    Add a gun to enforce the theory, and there's a ton of money to be made. Oh, they did think of that already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ingrate, whoever it is, is obviously living in a fantasy world. The person would also be one to watch out for should Libertarians ever become a major influence in our society. (See Jim Klein's comment, above.)

    As to me, I'd love to donate to you, Kent. However, I don't have a paying job, well, just barely. I'm old enough to collect social security, but I refuse to steal from others, even though my money was stolen. I live with my sister and her husband and I am their house keeper, cook, and grounds keeper (2 acres), so I'm not a lazy slug. I also write short stories (erotica) and actually manage to get paid, but not much. It's enough to pay for my really inexpensive cell phone (Go Phone, $2.00 a day, but only if I use it.) and buy shoes as my old ones wear out... . Okay, enough of that. I'm on a very limited income and trying to be as Libertarian as I can. One last thing. I won't sign up for Obama-Scam. If I get sick, I'll either get better or I'll die. So be it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was almost afraid that by posting this it would be seen as a backdoor attempt to beg for donations, but that really wasn't my intent. I have never felt any sort of entitlement about donations, and am just very grateful when I get them. You, D.M., add a great deal to the value of this blog with your comments. I consider that a donation as well.

      I've written some erotica, but haven't ever tried to sell it. I have thought about it, though. Under a pseudonym,of course. LOL

      My Virgin Mobile phone is actually even cheaper than your Go Phone! But only because I locked in a good deal several years ago.

      Delete