Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Admitting you messed up

Collectivism wasn't forced on most people. They were seduced into it. They don't want to admit that this happened, and they don't want to be forcibly freed from it now.  Even those who now see the collectivism, and see how it is hurting them, may not want to admit they screwed up.

I try to offer these people a way out that lets them save face.  As I see it, the ZAP is a great way out.  Just don't initiate force again, and you won't face any retribution from me.  (Well, if you have hurt one of my kids in the past I can't promise to not go insane and violate my principles, and I don't believe it would be right for me to do so ... but you have been warned.)
-

And please don't forget.

.

2 comments:

  1. Kent,

    What about those who are not "seduced?" Actual criminals?

    Does non-aggression, to you, allow retribution-by that I mean violent retaliation-say for rape, or murder?

    Personally, I have no problem with retaliation in principle, though in practice I suspect it would be very dangerous due to counter-retaliation. The end result, I think, would be a society of far more careful individuals than we have now. Which is certainly not a bad thing.

    To paraphrase Heinlein, an armed society is a polite society, and a society without government is very polite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those actual criminals are not "most people", fortunately. The basically-good outnumber the bad by a huge margin.

    I think retaliation and revenge violate non-aggression. Depending on the circumstances, I might go very easy on it if I were arbitrating a dispute like that, but I don't believe it is right, and certainly don't believe it is within someone's rights to do that. But, it could be understandable.

    ReplyDelete