Sunday, March 04, 2012

"I don't support the military"

Sometimes I wonder if I should just keep my mouth shut.

Yesterday as I was relaxing at home, the doorbell rang. That's a very rare occurrence, since few people (other than family) will enter the gate to come to the door. I went to the door and it was a college-age guy from the nearest university selling "cow-pie bingo" tickets. I listened to his sales pitch and was just about to ask the price when he mentioned that the proceeds were to be used to help military families in some way. I politely cut him off by saying "Sorry, but I don't support the military".

He thanked me for my time and left.

I wonder if he had ever gotten that response before. I wonder if others feel the same as I do, but are scared to say so in this religio-militaristic area. If he had asked for an explanation I would have told him that I support the militia, but not government-owned militaries. I would have told him that "the troops" are not fighting for "our freedom" but are putting me and my family- and his- in mortal danger by creating hatred for Americans, and growing an unending crop of new "terrorists" every day. I would have explained that "taxation" is really nothing more or less than pure theft. But he didn't ask, so we left it at that.

I hate myself when I keep silent in the face of such assumptions, but afterward I always wonder if speaking up, even politely, will put me on another "list".


.

4 comments:

  1. I don't know about that one, Kent. There are a LOT of pacifists out there, either for religious or political reasons, along with people with libertarian stances. I'm sure that they are a small percentage of the population, but even if they make up just one percent, someone going door to door is going to hit them fairly frequently.

    I've never known people to be silent about beliefs like that-whatever the root.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are putting me and my family- and his- in mortal danger by creating hatred for Americans, and growing an unending crop of new "terrorists" every day.

    Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting view.

    I don't agree with your opinion I believe our troops (for me, "our" is the Australian armed forces) have in the past and currently do fight to keep us safe from terrorism rather than increase our risk.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Julie, you can believe anything you want. Lots of people believe the position of the planets determines their fate. And, perhaps Australian military adventurism is a net gain for Australia. I doubt it.

    But US military interference is making Americans (and Australians) much less safe in the long run. But you don't have to accept that if it upsets you.

    ReplyDelete