Friday, December 09, 2011

Defeating "confirmation bias"

How can you be sure that libertarianism- respect for the liberty of each individual- is the right path?

Confirmation bias means that we will ignore counter evidence and play up the importance of evidence that supports our case.

However, I didn't always support the whole "liberty package". In fact, there are aspects of libertarianism I used to hate. However, when presented with evidence that showed that respecting individual liberty was better- made my life and the lives of those around me safer, wealthier, and more consistent- I switched sides on those issues. I didn't allow confirmation bias to obscure the evidence for liberty.

Perhaps that means something.


.

1 comment:

  1. It means one of your areas of expertise is political philosophy. Thus you are open to reason there. Most people default to their worldview in this area, and that is where confirmation bias operates, in worldviews.

    ReplyDelete