Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Hank Williams Jr's mouth

I'm seeing some "buzz" this morning about Hank Williams Jr. being "disassociated" with Monday Night Football by ESPN over a comment he made. A comment that wasn't a fawning love-fest for Obama.

Who cares?

The comment he made was utterly insignificant. For anyone to get worked up over it they had to be as brittle as a freeze-dried rose petal. "Oh, but he said 'Hitler'!" Once again, if the analogy is true, it is true. If it is not, then it won't stand.

I have absolutely no use for football, or any other team sport. I can't boycott something I never cared about. But this whole thing is just so silly. The NFL's use of the TSA gate-rapists against their customers is a much bigger deal.

What I have seen here is two factions of the Authoritarians pointing fingers and calling names; trying to show the other faction is worse. Guess what: both are anti-liberty and that's all I care about.

Hank Jr. has an absolute right to say anything he wants to say (even to falsely yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater)- and accept any and all consequences.

ESPN (and any other business) has the right to fire, or stop using, any individual for any reason at all- or no reason. Freedom of association, and all that.

But to pretend that there is a penny's worth of difference between the statists of the "right" and the statists of the "left" is mind-bogglingly ignorant.


.

2 comments:

  1. i agree that this is a dumb controversy. over the years, the worldwide leader in sensationalized crap (espn) has taken itself WAY too seriously.

    and this is just another dumb example.

    to me, the bigger question is this: how is what hank williams jr says relevant to... well... anything anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do like some of Hank Jr's songs, but I don't expect entertainers to know anything about anything other than entertaining. Why people listen to their opinions on other issues is beyond me.

    ReplyDelete