Friday, February 15, 2008

"Law" Games

Just for fun yesterday, I started keeping track of how many "laws" I was aware of breaking throughout the day. I counted six. The really funny thing is that those are just the ones I know of, and that I was paying attention to. How many more did I break without even knowing it? Probably dozens. And yet, not once did I harm anyone, defraud anyone, or even endanger anyone by my lawlessness. Because, you see, I was only breaking counterfeit "laws". You know, those "laws" that attempt to control or regulate something other than actual aggression or fraud; the victimless "crimes" that the state feeds off of. I'd be willing to bet that you broke about as many as I did, still without ever doing anything wrong. I think that today I may see how many more counterfeit "laws" I can break on purpose. Why not join me?

3 comments:

  1. If you have not yet encountered it, Rich Smith's book You Can Get Arrested for That: 2 Guys, 25 Dumb Laws, 1 Absurd American Crime Spree might give you some ideas along these lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard of that, though I had forgotten about it. Sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I once estimated how much time I would have to serve if convicted of all the "laws" I broke, and it came to about 15,000 years.

    ReplyDelete