Saturday, February 16, 2008

Bribery? or a Carrot on a Stick?

Believe it or not, I love technology. I am not just a "stone knives and bear skins" guy. But I have come to believe that government uses technology as a bribe to get people to comply with the state. When I read about new inventions, I consider whether they will make life more enjoyable or not, and whether government can use them to control the population more. I also wonder if we, the average people, will even be allowed to own or use the new stuff, or if it will be reserved for appendages of the state only. I mean, what good is a flying car if the permits and licenses are based upon REAL ID, you are restricted to flying only below a certain speed, the registration is too expensive or intrusive, and GPS tracks every move you make in it. Not that I would ever be able to afford a flying car anyway. I want all the neat gadgets that are being invented, but not enough to give up my liberty, my privacy, and my individuality to be "allowed" to possess them.

2 comments:

  1. As soon as someone invents a Stargate, I'm gone. And on the other side, as soon as some buttinksi sticks his nose through, his gigamegawatt plasma rifle will vaporize them into their component atoms, to waft away on the breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want a phaser... or Serenity.

    ReplyDelete