Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Liberty Geniuses

Why are there no real "liberty prodigies" or "geniuses of anarchism"? There are none that everyone can point to and say "They have it completely right!" We all have our personal favorites, of course, but there is no Albert Einstein or Stephen Hawking for libertarians to be dazzled by. I can't help but wonder why.


Is it because we are so individualistic that one size does not fit all? I can recognize when someone is pointing in my direction, even if they do not go as far as I do (or if they go farther). That makes me think that this is not the reason. Is it because freedom is not a science? There is no "E = mc2" of liberty. Or is there? Maybe there is and none of us have found it yet.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe I am wrong. But total liberty implies never pointing to someone else for what is totally right. Under the total liberty scenario, we are each our own liberty genius. On the other hand, maybe I totally missed the point of your post. But I'll just exercise my liberty and read it the way I want. Glad to see you actively posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, Freedom is not a science, it is a way of life, and in this sense it's absolutely individualistic.
    There must be geniuses who lives in an anarcho-capitalist way (I can name at least one). If yo mean that there's no anarcho-scientifician, or universal laws in the study of freedom, I think that this is because what we study is but human behavior, and there is no general law except maybe the human action principle. Though I enjoy so much reading about anarchism... the best lesson is action, just when you find someone living "it".(it=freedom)

    ReplyDelete