Thursday, October 05, 2006

Preaching Liberty


From time to time in our lives, we come across someone whose beliefs are very different, or even diametrically opposed to ours. It can be fun debating these people, as long as no one becomes angry in the process. This happens most frequently in the realms of religion and politics. It is usually pointless to try to really "convert" the other person, as in both of these areas, we "know what we know" and no amount of logic is likely to get through all of our mental defenses. Once, in debating someone, over a course of days, after making all of the points I could think of, the other person finally admitted, "What you say makes sense, but I am gonna believe what I want to". I was struck by this admission. I came to realize that when someone has a great deal invested in a belief system, be it political or religious, they can not afford to simply walk away from it. I don't blame them; I am the same way. You could trumpet the benefits of government control over every facet of our personal lives; show me examples backing up your claims, and I would know at my very core that you were wrong, and that freedom and liberty are better. So what can a liberty minded freedom outlaw do? Lead by example. Do not abandon your libertarian principles when it becomes difficult to live them. Show how much better personal responsibility is as a life style. Do not fall into the government handout trap. Do not initiate force. Do not back away from defending yourself and your family. Do not apologize for living by your principles. It time, others will notice your life. Then you can welcome them to liberty, beyond the reach of government thugs. When enough people see government for the farce it is, we will have won our freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment