Sunday, March 30, 2008

What is "Right"?

Is theft right? What if you call it "taxation" and promise to only use the money to benefit the victims? What if you call it "asset forfeiture" and hint that the victims deserved it? How about home invasion? Is it right if there might be dried leaves of a forbidden species in the house? What if it results in the murder of the people who live there? As we have seen, it is not called "murder" if it is perpetrated by agents of the state.

I can't support any system or group that uses these tactics to carry out its objectives. Some people call me "idealistic" or "unpatriotic" for being this way. Say what you want, but I wouldn't be able to look myself in the mirror if I supported such career criminals. Because to me, criminals who use badges or agencies to commit crimes are worse than free-lance criminals who hold no self-serving delusions about their actions.

My morals not not shimmer and shift depending on who I am talking about. If it would be wrong for me to do it, then it is wrong for a cop to do it. If it would be a crime for my friends and I to go out and do it, it is wrong for government agencies to do it. On the other hand, if it is OK for government agents to own, such as machine guns, then it is OK for you and I to own. After all, which of us is more likely to kill people? It isn't me. I expect to go through my entire life without ever killing anyone. Right and wrong; It really isn't that hard to figure out. Is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment