Thursday, September 07, 2006

Property taxes


When I was around 10 years old I had already developed a sense that I wanted a cabin in the mountains where I would hunt and gather my own food, make my own buckskin clothes, and just be left alone when I wanted (much to the eternal distress of my conventional parents). I had it all figured out ... until my parents informed me that if I didn't pay property tax on the land, the government would take it away from me. Even at that age, I knew that was ridiculous. If you own something, you OWN it. You don't have to pay a yearly ransom to keep it!

I think property tax is fundamentally more evil than other taxes. ALL taxes are theft-by-government at gunpoint and not justifiable. Consider this: If you do not want to pay sales tax you could theoretically barter and trade for all the good that you couldn't produce for yourself. Hate the income tax? Do what I did and reduce your income to zero. But how to have a HOME and not have property tax? You could be a squatter. You could rent. You could be a permanent tourist. These strategies work for many people. Unfortunately the desire to have a homestead is one of the strongest urges for humans. We are very territorial creatures. How many wars are being fought today because of someone violating someone else's territory?

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting comment, Kent. While I am aware of the arguments for property taxes - local fire departments, police protection, schools, etc - I too have a very serious problem with the idea of charging someone a tax just for owning property. After all, you pay sales taxes when you buy it, so that should be the end of it.

    Worse, new homeowners can and do later end up being forced to pay taxes incurred by previous occupants since the tax attaches to the property, not the person. If they don't pay the taxes incurred before they even lived there - which they usually don't even know about until the house is on its way to the auction block - their home will be seized and sold even if they own it free and clear. Sometimes the tax is in error, and is not even owed at all, but they have to pay it first to stop the sale, then fight it out with the authorities. Where is the justice in that? There is none.

    Individuals and companies who buy tax certificates make a killing through property taxes. That practice should be outlawed.

    I'm not sure what the President could do about this problem, though, since it's a state, county, and/or local issue. Can you elaborate on that aspect?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the best thing a president can do about theft-by-government such as property taxes, is to speak out against them at every opportunity. Help people realize that this practice is just wrong. Call the tax collectors what they truly are: thieves. If that doesn't work, then political pressure can be applied; or as a last resort, an executive order could be signed. After all, this is a national crisis.

    ReplyDelete