Sunday, February 10, 2008

Voters and Other Dreamers

In the fight for liberty, voting is the safest, even the most cowardly, easiest action that can possibly be taken. It is supposedly secret. It is easy to blend in with the collectivists who are also voting on that day. If you want to, you can even lie about who you voted for if you feel intimidated. Yet, over and over again, voters vote for the anti-freedom candidates. When handed a non-confrontational way to express an interest in freedom, without any risk, people still don't do it.

I can hold out hope that the real freedom fighters stay away from the voting booth, recognizing it as a futile act, or an act of distasteful "implied consent". You know "lending legitimacy to an illegitimate system".

Still I wonder, if no one stands up for freedom when it is safe enough that a coward could do it; easy enough that someone as lazy as me could do it, and non-confrontational enough that a shy people-pleaser could do it... then how will liberty ever be regained once the shooting starts?

10 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm afraid there will be shooting, more and more in the next few years. But it will all be of the "lone nut" variety, and do far more harm than good.

    But I have to ask, Kent: As to voting, I can't quite tell if you're "fer it or agin' it". How, other than useless write-ins, does anybody "stand up for freedom" in a voting booth when your choices are between BOYN Party Candidates A and B? To me, the only principled place to be on voting day is anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Voting.... if there is no choice other than Tyrant-wanna-be A or Tyrant-wanna-be B, then I am against voting except for a write-in. To me it is a way of saying "I do not consent". But really, I am not all that sold on voting in any case. I've never seen things get better because of a vote, and I HAVE seen things get much worst because of votes.

    I have a lot of sympathy for the lone-nut shooters. I understand the frustration that causes them to snap. Government would be wise to stop applying the pressure of tyranny that ensures those events, but then they love when that happens. It makes some people think that government is the victim.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out this guy who's running for president:
    http://www.mercerforpresident2008.com/home.html

    Now there's a "lone nut" for you. I can't even make sense of his platform.

    "There is concern about the U.S. Government Economy and the US Public’s Economy enforcements. I will enforce the U.S. Government’s Economy and the US Public’s Economy regulating its enforcements itself with its regulations pretaining to itself and according to it’s enforcements to maintain 100% effectiveness with my tools."

    ReplyDelete
  4. It just sounds like he has learned governese: say a lot of words without accidentally meaning anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The more I read his site, the more I think we shouldn't make fun of people who are obviously lacking in mental abilities. He makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, we have a whole web site dedicated to making fun of insane people (insolitology.com). It's fun! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get the idea that he is insane, but that he is mentally retarded.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To me it's all good. There are also people on our site who are not mentally affected in any way and are just stupid. There's really no way to tell.

    ReplyDelete