KentForLiberty pages

Sunday, July 19, 2026

Modern advancements vs modern annoyances



I really appreciate modern advancements... but on the other hand, I really hate modern annoyances.

I'm not sure how you can get one without the other.

Plus, I realize the things I see as the annoyances are likely to be someone else's wonders of technology.

Because I can be the same way about some things.

For example, I hate manual transmissions in cars, while most "car people" love them. Maybe that's because I'm not a car person, and I just want vehicles to get me where I need to go with the least hassle possible- and I don't need to feel like I am controlling every little function. It's probably why I'm not too opposed to self-driving cars, while being suspicious of the technology making that possible. 

One thing I've never felt this way about is guns. I love everything from iron and wood matchlocks to full autos in polymer and stainless alloys. Each has its place. I wouldn't want to depend on a matchlock for self-defense, even though I might enjoy shooting them for fun. (I've never actually shot anything more "primitive" than a flintlock, though.)

I wouldn't want a "smart gun" with biometrics, just like I wouldn't want a car with the same thing. I have no desire to be vetted by a gun or a car; judged "worthy" or "unworthy" of operating either one. That's one of those modern annoyances I hate, and that those who want to control us are pushing for.

I'm willing to do without any technology that gets too intrusive. In that case, the old things are probably better for me, even if less advanced. Plus, the old things have their own charm, and sometimes, getting acquainted with the less advanced stuff can make you appreciate the modern stuff a little more. Until you've had to make fire under primitive conditions, you won't appreciate Bic lighters- or an electronic lighter- as much. But that's because a lighter is a modern advancement, not a modern annoyance.

Appreciate the differences, and find your own lines between the two. I think it will make you a more well-rounded individual.

Or, that's my take on it.

-

4 comments:

  1. Regarding transmissions:

    I have two motorcycles with two different kinds.

    One is a scooter-style "continuous variable transmission." It's not like a car's automatic transmission with distinct gears, just a pair of pulleys that change diameter as the engine runs faster or slower. It's very nice for riding in town because I don't have to be constantly shifting up or down. I've heard that some cars use a CVT as well, but that most people dislike it in a car.

    The other is a standard transmission with clutch and shift lever, although opposite a car the clutch is actuated by hand and the shifter by foot. Took some getting used to, but I like it better for longer rides on roads with higher speed limits.

    The car people I know who prefer a standard transmission these days prefer it because they either race, or fancy themselves racers, and want the perceived added control of deciding for themselves what gear the vehicle will be in at any given moment. But most of them only go that way for their special/hobby cars. When they're just going to work, they hop in an old beater with an automatic transmission.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When people used to scold me for preferring automatic transmissions I would tell them that someone went to all the effort to invent it, so I was showing appreciation for their hard work. And yes, I can drive a manual transmission- or could at one time, even though I haven't done so in decades. I once drove a huge moving truck a couple thousand miles across the country, and it was a manual with a bunch of gears to choose from. Not fun!

      Delete
    2. I like the standard transmission because I like having something to do. That's all.

      Delete
    3. Bob- That's what drinking and driving is for! :P

      Delete